Always something with the flights…

So after hanging out in the Hong Kong airport for a bit the other day, I headed to the gate and got on the plane. I thought it was strange that I had the same seat assignment as the previous plane. Turns out it was the same plane that I had deboarded hours earlier…the same one with the video problems. About 30 minutes into the flight, the video system wigged out on everyone this time, not just me. They finally got it working though and I got to watch the Robin Williams movie Man of the Year…

I’m not sure what it is, but I always find something that really annoys me on a flight…mostly stuff that other passengers do. One lady on the flight to Bali decided that she wanted to play with playdough during the flight to help her arthritis. I never really realized how the smell of playdough can get to you, but when you are in a confined space, it can be overpowering.

Bali was pretty nice. Hotel was good, city was filled with all sorts of shops. Bought 15 DVDs for ~$15. We ate at a market on the beach where you pick out your raw seafood by the kg for them to grill. I had a kg (2.2 lb) of grilled squid that was excellent. In the morning we flew out to Makassar. While there, in order to get the new temporary work permit, we had to fill out a ton of paperwork and get fingerprinted 4 times. I told Tasha that I thought we had less to do to get out concealed carry permit in Texas! After all that was done, we had to board the plane to Soroako. It is a small plane that probalby seats 30-40 people and it is not setup for tall people. My knees were pressed into the back of the seat in front of me for the whole 1.5 hours. As we approached Soroako, we got into some heavy rain. We even lined up with the runway, but the pilot decided the weather was too bad to land and we were headed back to Makassar…another 1.5 hours with my knees drilled into the seat! Ughhh!!

So ended up that we spent an evening in Makassar at a swanky hotel near the beach. Rooms were nice, had a nice steakhouse that ws just a pricey as some nice placecs in North America. We had to leave the hotel @ 4 am, so we didn’t get to spend too much time checking out the big city of Makassar. We finally made it into Soroako about 7:30 am on Saturday…a day later than we anticipated. Oh well, I don’t think I will miss one less night in Soroako.

I got checked into the dorms and this room is much nicer than the house I was in last time. Maybe I can catch a replay of the Superbowl on the 13″ TV here in my room….

That is all for now….

– peeps

Leave a Reply